DxR makes it easy to create Data-driven graphics in xR (Virtual/Augmented Reality) using the Unity game engine and Microsoft's Mixed Reality ecosystem. Inspired by Vega-Lite, DxR uses concise declarative JSON syntax to generate interactive visualizations in immersive environments.
Quick Start Guide
- Install Unity3D editor version 2017.2.0p1-MRTP4.
- Import DxR.unitypackage into your project.
- Open DxRExamples/template.unity.
- Apply default mixed reality project settings. In Unity3D editor menu, go to: Mixed Reality Toolkit -> Configure -> Apply Mixed Reality Project Settings and click Apply.
- If your Immersive Head-Mounted-Display (IHMD) or HoloLens is connected and setup, press play - you should see a simple DxR data visualization in your immersive environment. If no device is connected, turn off VR Support (File -> Build Settings -> Player Settings -> UWP tab -> XR Settings -> uncheck VR Supported) and press play to view scene in the editor.
- To modify a visualization, edit its JSON specification (the filename is shown in the Inspector when the DxRSceneObject is selected from the Hierarchy).
Below is a screenshot of some visualization examples generated using DxR.