Use the Vive Tracker without a headset:
- If you haven't already, use the headset and controllers to run Room Setup.
- Disconnect both the headset and link box, turn off the controllers, and connect the tracker dongle.
- Restart SteamVR and pair the tracker to its own dongle.
- Once you're sure the tracker is paired to the dongle, reconnect just the link box (it controls the Lighthouses).
- In your file manager, go to the global SteamVR settings file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Back up the global default.vrsettings, then open it in a text editor and set the following:
"requireHmd" : false, "activateMultipleDrivers" : true,
- Then, in your file manager, go to the null driver settings file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Back up the null driver default.vrsettings, then open it in a text editor and set the following:
"enable" : true,
Now restart SteamVR. If everything's correct, the SteamVR panel should say "Ready" when the tracker alone is connected:
Good ending: Bad ending:
- Now that you're set up, switch between headset and tracker mode by plugging in or removing the headset (leaving the link box connected) and restarting SteamVR.
If you want to disable the headset entirely, also change the following in global settings:
"forcedDriver" : "null",
- Or, to restore normal operation of your headset later, change it back:
If you have trouble running Room Setup after performing these steps, try temporarily changing back this global setting:
"requireHmd" : true,
- If SteamVR complains about needing to rerun Room Setup, try restarting it again and see if the warning goes away.
If SteamVR keeps complaining about Room Setup, go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\chaperone_info.vrchap
Make any harmless change to the file (like adding a space at the end), then save it.
- If you're still having problems, try the current beta of SteamVR. In Steam, right-click SteamVR in your library and enable Beta mode.