A game made in under 48 hours for the GMTK Game Jam 2019 (https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2019). The game jam’s theme is “only one”.
In this game, you are an intrepid treasure hunter searching for the most valuable treasure you can find. However, you only have room for one item! Each item has a value and a weight, and the heavier an item is, the more it slows you down! Picking up an item discards the item currently in your inventory, if you have it.
- WASD - move character
- Left Shift - add item to inventory/swap with item already in inventory (must be touching an item)
This was built using Unity 2019.3. It uses some new technology for it that either was recently released or is still in beta, such as:
- Unity’s new input system
- Unity 2D tilemaps
- Extra features for tilemaps, such as the Weighted Random Tiles (see: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/2d-extras)
This game was only tested on Windows.
Building the game
- Clone or download the game files, and open in Unity 2019.3 or later.
- Go to File > Build and Run.
- Save the build to a particular folder.
- Once the game finishes building, open your computer’s File Explorer and open the newly-built .exe executable file.
I really liked working on this game. This was my first time submitting something for a game jam, and seeing it come (somewhat) to life was a fun experience. Due to lack of time, I wasn’t able to implement everything that I wanted. However, I still liked the result, and I’m sure that if you play it, you can kind of understand what I wanted to do with the game.
Third-party art and animation
- 16x16 DungeonTileset II - 0x72 - https://0x72.itch.io/dungeontileset-ii