Emulating bird-flocking behavior on an iOS device (Unity and C#). This project was inspired by the “Flock” exhibit at the San Francisco Exploratorium.
To build this Unity project:
- Clone this repository
- Open the cloned repository folder in Unity (2019.3 or above)
- Purchase and install the Unity Asset FlockBox (link here)
- Set build target to iOS
- Build for your iPhone or iPad! Should run in Unity Editor as well.
Tap the screen to bring up the slider controls. Adjust any one of these variables to change the size and behavior of the flock:
- Number of birds: adjust flock size from 1 to 500 birds (note that bird #1 is red and larger than other birds)
- Containment behavior: Staying inside the defined flock box
- Alignment behavior: Steer towards the average forward direction of nearby birds
- Cohesion behavior: Steer towards the midpoint of nearby birds.
- Separation behavior: Steer away from nearby birds. Weighted by distance so that the closer other birds get, the greater the separation force becomes.
Screenshot from iPad below:
This app was built using the excellent Unity Store Asset “FlockBox” (link here).