Dungeon-Rush : 2D SideSCroller
- Website: Dungeon-Rush
We were inspired to develop this game after constantly seeing a flood of “new-age”, shooter-style games. We decided to challenge ourselves to create a Mario-style game, having no experience, much less programmed in C#, we decided this would be the best test of our grit during our final portfolio project.
This project encompasses many of the advanced engineering concepts we have learned throughout our time here at Holberton School. As a final portfolio project, we challenged ourselves to apply everything we have learned as well as apply C#, a language that we had self-taught in the preceding 4 weeks.
Introduction & Mechanics
Similar to the mechanics of the game Mario, the objective of the game is to go from point A to point B without dying by getting your health points to 0.
- The player starts out with 5 health, which decreases when hit by a monster. Special attacks from certain monsters or bosses will give a much more significant damage to the player. As the game progresses, every boss defeated increases the player’s maximum health by one and hidden treasure on the maps may give you extra health. Players level up and have skills made available that make it easier to progress through each map and certain maps have mechanics which will require certain skills to traverse.
- The faster you finish each level, the higher your score will get. Along the way from point A to point B, there will also be enemies littered across the map and defeating them will net you extra points. There are different monsters with different ways of dealing with them as you progress through each level. Besides defeating enemies to get points, you can also collect valuables scattered throughout the level. There are different types of valuables scattered throughout the level from coins that give you points to hidden treasure chests that give power upgrades to the player which helps them against the guardians that block the way to the next level.
- Use Arrow Keys to move left and Right
- Use Space Bar to Jump; Double Press to Jump Higher
- Use ‘R’ key to shoot arrows
- For some keyboards/systems, arrow keys may be substituted for “w”, “a”, “s”, and “d” keys.
Language (Game and WebPage)
- Unity Game Engine
- Google Cloud
- AWS Instance
- Git Lab
- Unity Cloud
- Web Domain - GoDaddy
BSD 3-Clause License
Copyright © 2020, Edward Guillermo, Yashar Mateen All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.