Noise & Texture Generator for Unity
3D and 2D Texture generation using the compute shaders within the Unity engine.
This project handles the creation and serialization of different 3D/2D textures created via custom compute shaders. This is done through a custom ComputeTexture object.
I created this asset in order to generate 3D textures for use in raymarching systems. In fact the example provided is intended for use with a volumetric cloud system as described by the wonderful people at Guerilla Games. I found 3D textures to be wonderful however the lack of support was dissapointing.
There are three main scripts to know here: ComputeTexture, ComputeTexture3D, and Noise Generator. Note that since these scripts are based on MonoBehaviour they need to be attached to a game object, in the future I would rather these behave in a similar manner to Render Textures. In order to generate the completed texture you will need to provide the texture scripts with some information:
- Asset Name - what you want the asset to be named at save
- Kernel Name - the name of the compute shader kernel used to generate the final texture
- RW Texture - name of the RWTexture that will be written to by the compute shader
- Square Resolution - length, width, and depth resolution (i.e. 128 = 128 x 128 x 128)
- Parameters - list of float values and their corresponding compute shader name
- Compute Threads - thread counts specified in the compute shader above each kernel (Z is only used in the case of 3D textures)
- Compute Shader - any compute shader that writes to RWTextures
- 3D ONLY Texture 3D Slicer - compute shader that slices 3D textures to 2D layers, should be provided with the repo